Improve patient outcomes with critical thinking
It’s easy to see why critical thinking is highly valued by employers. Health care delivery locations can no longer afford to be mistaken about best thinking. Error rates are already in question, difficult problems and decisions must be addressed, and poor judgments can lead to irreparable damage and even cost lives.
Healthcare professionals need critical thinking skills for:
- accurately diagnosing emergent conditions;
- determining & evaluating therapeutic actions;
- analyzing & managing health risks;
- hiring & promoting leaders;
- designing innovative clinical systems;
- achieving goals of agency initiatives;
- allocating resources;
- anticipating & preventing errors;
- using & managing information systems;
- understanding treatment implications;
- developing data driving protocols;
- anticipating the implications of actions taken;
- analyzing & resolving personnel issues;
- explaining policy & protocols; and
- designing & evaluating departmental reports.
This list goes on almost indefinitely in high-stakes practice settings which require employees to make critically important and time sensitive judgments.
Assessing critical thinking in the health sciences
Many health care centers assess critical thinking to improve clinical judgment skills and minimize errors. Objective critical thinking data becomes an essential component in their hiring and staff development programs.
Hospitals, medical centers and medical schools depend upon INSIGHT Health Professional,INSIGHT Health Staff, the Health Sciences Reasoning Test (HSRT) and the HSRT- Associate Degree (HSRT-AD) to measure critical thinking in the students and professionals. These clients value the high quality, appropriately normed data from the test instruments; the ability to coordinate testing from multiple sites; and the option of working with our technical staff to optimize their testing programs.
Insight Development Program provides efficient, effective self-instructional modules for professional and clinical success. The program reinforces strengths and provides growth opportunities in key 15 key thinking skills and mindset attributes.
It is possible to identify candidates who can demonstrate excellence in professional judgment, sound use of critical thinking skills and the reliable disposition to use these talents.