EDUCATE INSIGHT Reasoning Skills Grades K-2
EDUCATE INSIGHT Reasoning Skills K-2 is specifically designed to measure the critical thinking skills of children in early elementary school (grades K-2).
Research shows what parents and teachers already know: critical thinking skills can be learned from a very early age. The more children are supported and challenged to exercise their core critical thinking skills, the stronger these skills become. The strength of these thinking skills is a key factor in student success in reading and in coursework across the curriculum
EDUCATE INSIGHT Reasoning Skills Grades K-2 is an objective measure of elementary reasoning skills. Children do not learn at the same pace and in the same way. Early identification of thinking weaknesses in students provides opportunities for early intervention and remediation. Comprehensive reports provide significant individual and group diagnostics. This assessment delivers results that are locally relevant immediately. Given at the beginning and/or end of the school year, reports provide metrics that schools use to:
- Develop support programs: Use the research-based assessment data about student strength and weakness in thinking to identify students needing more support so that optimal individualized instruction and learning strategies can be developed
- Target classroom curriculum and activities: Provide the relevant, objective group data that teachers need to incorporate necessary reasoning skills into class work, reading lessons and curriculum
- Leverage accreditation and school improvement data with improved critical thinking outcomes: Evaluate the effectiveness of curricular programs, instructional approaches and educational materials in fostering critical thinking learning; strategically scaffold learning outcomes by building on successes at early grade levels
- Assess effectiveness of enrichment programs: Document the effectiveness and outcomes achievement of after school programs, tutors, community based programs, lifelong learning programs as well as educational programs for disadvantaged youth
- Promote school/home partnership; Comprehensive individual reports documenting their student’s problem solving strengths and weaknesses can help engage parents in student learning support activities
Teachers play an important role in fostering the development of the core reasoning skills that will be the foundation of future academic progress. EDUCATE INSIGHT Reasoning Skills Grades K-2 has been specifically calibrated to measure the thinking skills of children in early elementary school. An age-appropriate children’s story format engages young students in applying their critical thinking skills to multiple-choice questions based on everyday situations. Every question is familiar, relevant and provides all necessary content to isolate the thinking process. The assessment is timed for 45 minutes which permits maximum performance within the range of possible effort for the intended test-taker group. Insight Assessment has gone to great lengths to ensure that the tests from the EDUCATE INSIGHT series are age appropriate. Test takers will find that the examples in the assessments are situations they are familiar and can identify with easily.
Scale Scores Reported
EDUCATE INSIGHT Reasoning Skills Grades K-2 provides an Overall Reasoning score, and scores on five critical thinking skills that are vital for educational success: analysis, categorization, explanation, evaluation and inference.
Insight Assessment offers the industry’s most complete and cost-effective array of testing options including online and traditional paper-and-pencil solutions.
Secure, encrypted online testing is available 24x7x365 with our multilingual delivery options. Our browser or app based online system provides the option of taking our assessments on virtually any device.
Tests are available any time any where, whether directly at your site or multiple sites, at test centers or to individual devices.
To perform well on a critical thinking test, the test taker must be able to read the question scenario and answer choices; they must understand the question being asked. Emergent readers, such as children for whom the EDUCATE INSIGHT Reasoning Skills Grades K-2 form was developed, may require the test to be read aloud by a proctor. It is important that reading ability and language issues are not significant barriers for the test taker. You will find that the test was designed to resemble closely a children’s reading book to reduce test-taker anxiety and be less stressful on the students. Students should feel that you are reading a book to them rather than their skill levels being questioned. EDUCATE INSIGHT Reasoning Skills Grades K-2 comes in four pieces that can be read all at once or in four testing sessions.
Recommended Companion Assessment
Engaging problems and making decisions using critical thinking involves both skills and habits of mind. For a complete assessment of a test taker’s critical thinking, it is recommended both skills and dispositions be measured. Using companion assessments results in a comprehensive measurement of whether a test taker is ‘willing and able’ to think well. We recommend that EDUCATE INSIGHT Reasoning Skills Grades K-2 be taken in conjunction with EDUCATE INSIGHT Thinking Mindset Grades K-2.
EDUCATE INSIGHT Series
EDUCATE INSIGHT Reasoning Skills Grades K-2 is a member of the EDUCATE INSIGHT comprehensive thinking assessment program for K-12 students. The metrics delivered by these thinking skills and mindset assessments provide relevant, objective input for teachers in the classroom, for school improvement and accreditation reports. Use of the EDUCATE INSIGHT series makes possible reliable multi-year tracking of individual and group performance statistics as students progress through K-12 education. The EDUCATE INSIGHT series is specially designed for children ages K-12 from all areas and backgrounds. Our client relations specialists will help you determine the optimal tools for your objectives.
EDUCATE INSIGHT Reasoning Skills Grades K-2is specifically designed to measure the thinking skills of children in early elementary school (grades K-2). An Overall Reasoning score and five important metrics are reported:
Reasoning Skills Overall
Analytical skills are used to identify assumptions, reasons, themes, and the evidence used in making arguments or offering explanations. Analytical skills enable us to consider all the key elements in any given situation, and to determine how those elements relate to one another. People with strong analytical skills notice important patterns and details. People use analysis to gather the most relevant information from spoken language, documents, signs, charts, graphs, and diagrams.
Categorization skills enable us to identify, recognize, and group objects according to a perceived common characteristic. Categorization enables understanding language, predicting the behavior of, inferring the characteristics of, and deciding how to behave toward or how to interact with objects grouped into the same category. Categorization one of the sub-skills of interpretation.
Explanation is the process of justifying what we have decided to do or what we have decided to believe. People with strong explanation skills provide the evidence, methods, and considerations they actually relied on when making their judgment. Explanations can include our assumptions, reasons, values, and beliefs. Strong explanations enable others to understand and to evaluate our decisions.
Evaluative reasoning skills enable us to assess the credibility of sources of information and the claims they make. We use these skills to determine the strength or weakness of arguments. Applying evaluation skills we can judge the quality of analyses, interpretations, explanations, inferences, options, opinions, beliefs, ideas, proposals, and decisions. Strong explanation skills can support high-quality evaluation by providing the evidence, reasons, methods, criteria, or assumptions behind the claims made and the conclusions reached.
Inference skills enable us to draw conclusions from reasons, evidence, observations, experiences, or our values and beliefs. Using Inference, we can predict the most likely consequences of the options we may be considering. Inference enables us to see the logical consequences of the assumptions we may be making. Sound inferences rely on accurate information. People with strong inference skills draw logical or highly reliable conclusions using all forms of analogical, probabilistic, empirical, and mathematical reasoning.
EDUCATE INSIGHT Reasoning Skills Grades K-2 has been designed to deliver high quality objective metrics on the strengths and weaknesses of key aspects of thinking. EDUCATE INSIGHT Reasoning Skills Grades K-2 measures and reports on an array of reasoning skill scale scores: Overall Reasoning Skills, Analysis, Categorization, Evaluation, Explanation, and Inference.
EDUCATE INSIGHT reports deliver individual and group results in a presentation ready format. Each report includes a wide range of statistical and demographic information about individuals and/or test-taker groups. Group aggregate data, spreadsheets showing each student’s scores, and separate reports for each individual student can be generated. Colorful graphics make it easy to understand how any group of students has performed. Test-taker scores and group summaries are presented with interpretative analysis by Insight Assessment measurement scientists.
The Assessment Report package includes:
- Individual test-taker analytics:
- an overall score of thinking ability (Overall Score)
- a categorical interpretation of the strength of the Overall Score and scale scores
- a norm-referenced percentile ranking (applicable to skills assessments only)
- scale scores to indicate which of the skills areas are particularly strong and which are weaker and require training attention.
- test administrators control whether test-takers receive their individual results after testing.
- Group analytics include:
- descriptive statistics and presentation ready graphic representation of the average Overall score and scale scores for the group
- descriptive graphics and representations including size of the group, mean, median, standard deviation, standard error of the mean, lowest score, highest score, first quartile score and third quartile score. To see video about interpreting group report histograms
- descriptive statistics of the demographic characteristics of the test-taker group (if collected
- the average percentile of group as compared to a pre-selected external norm group (applicable to skills assessments only). For more information on norm-referenced scores
- Electronic data files spreadsheet with all scale scores and demographic responses.
- User Manual which includes chapters on interpreting individual and group test-taker scores using our 4-Step Process.
Insight Assessment clients depend on the comprehensive data and analysis in EDUCATE INSIGHT reports to provide the insights needed to achieve their assessment goals. Clients are currently using individual data for admissions, placement and to document achievement of learning outcomes. Group data is being used for new cohort assessment, outcomes assessment, demonstrating the quality of an educational program, demonstrating group proficiency, staff development, admissions and more.
Clients can customize their results package with additional analyses, graphics and interpretative text discussing your scores in relationship to your particular goals and objectives. For further information, see Insight Assessment Reports and Analytics
Individual and group scores are provided for all Insight Assessment test takers. Different groups of test takers have very different performance levels and therefore their scores differ quite a bit on scientifically developed measures of cognitive ability. It is important to understand how your group of test takers compares to selected external comparison groups, for example, the population of comparable regional or national peer groups.
The reports for each Insight Assessment test instrument provide scores that can be benchmarked against a variety of external comparison groups so that our clients are able to evaluate the scores of individual test takers or of their entire group. If you do not see what you are specifically looking for, contact us to discuss your needs with a testing specialist.
Available comparison percentiles for EDUCATE INSIGHT Reasoning Skills Grades K-2
As a qualified purchaser, we offer the option of purchasing a preview of the assessment experience.
A preview provides you with one or more opportunities to view and experience the assessment from the perspective of the individual being assessed and to see the reporting options.
Your account representative will set up your preview of the instrument on mobile devices or on computers. The preview includes the profile page, an example of the assessment itself, and an example of the individual report that will be provided at completion of the assessment.
Each preview also includes a digital copy of the user manual and resource guide for the specific instrument you are viewing. User manuals provide:
- a brief description of each metric being assessed by the instrument;
- a description of how to interpret both individual and group assessment results;
- a discussion of validity and reliability for the measures;
- all necessary information about administration of the assessment;
- many additional resources that we hope you will find useful for designing your assessment project.
Contact us to order a preview now, or receive your preview when you place your first order for assessments.