The importance of a positive mindset at work
Are you hiring new staff now? Are you successful?
If you’re finding it hard to find skilled workers, it’s important to be sure that you’re looking for the job qualifications your employees really need. Do your recruitment and job descriptions target people who are already doing this job? Or are you looking for future employees who have the ability and mindset to learn and to do the job?
- Strength in reasoning ability means more than the possession of thinking skills. Individuals can have experience and skills but lack the motivation to use them when making decisions.
- Effective problem solvers have strong decision-making skills and, equally important, the positive mindset to consistently apply those skills. These employees are motivated to engage problems. They bring commitment, focus, tolerance and resourcefulness to their decision-making process.
- When evaluating job candidates, it’s essential to make sure that new hires have strong work habits of mind. Then, by assessing thinking skill strength, you can develop a team with the drive to produce results.
- Smart managers prioritize finding people who will think well on the job.
- Thinking and decision-making skills along with a commitment to your company’s mission, vision and values are important considerations at every level of your organization.
- Hire employees who will fit into your work culture. They should have a strong work ethic, be flexible and eager to learn and to grow. Avoid people with the bad attitudes that bring down the performance of the whole team.
- You need to know which employees will benefit from training and develop their skills.We’ve all heard the hire for attitudes, train for skills strategy.
How to hire the right candidate?
You can’t afford to hire for just thinking skills or just positive mindset attributes —you need high standards for both.
Reduce costly errors in judgment caused by poor thinking. You can and should:
- Objectively prescreen job candidates for critical thinking skills and mindset attributes.
- Use an objective assessment of the key mindset attributes required at each level of responsibility and accountability within your company.
- Only interview candidates eager to learn, motivated to succeed, with the thinking skills needed to succeed at on the job.
- Don’t rely upon gut feelings or opinion when deciding whether candidates can meet your requirements.
- Obtain the data you need to target talent development and onboarding programs.
Use the right assessment tool
The reasoning skills and professional attributes measured by the INSIGHT series are predictive of workplace success.
INSIGHT Business Professional delivers the data needed to increase the quality of decision making throughout your organization. Our proven online pre-employment screening tool provides consistent objective metrics on the core critical thinking skills and mindset attributes.
Individual reports clearly document the strength and weaknesses of a targeted array of business thinking skills and attributes of candidates. Group reports let you track progress toward your hiring goals.
Our clients appreciate the security and versatility of our industry leading app-based testingtechnology. These include the ability to administer multilingual measures of reasoning skills and thinking attributes throughout the world.
Target talent development training on strong thinking mindset and skills
There are many benefits to integrating assessment of thinking mindset and skills into your hiring and promotion programs. INSIGHT Development Program provides proven instructional modules that guide individuals toward the continued improvement of their reasoning. Scenarios, examples and reflective mental exercises center on the workplace. They target skills and attributes applicable to problem solving and decisions in all aspects of life. Designed to be used as independent study by employees, it can also be incorporated into existing training programs. A comprehensive assessment of thinking strengths and weakness is included for each trainee.
Embed building critical thinking into your human resource goals and systems
Quality assessment and employee improvement programs focus on improving thinking skills and mindset.
INSIGHT assessments provide metrics on up to 15 different scales to assist you to pinpoint strengths. INSIGHT Development Program can help you train those 15 core skills and mindset attributes and measure progress.
INSIGHT assessments are available for Business, Health, Defense, First Responder, Government/Law, and Science/Engineering. INSIGHT assesses decision-making skills and thinking mindset attributes in potential hires and employees at all levels of your organization.
Contact us to discuss any combination of our critical thinking solutions.