Custom questions enable test administrators to better organize their results. Custom questions are used to gather the classification and demographic metrics needed to support analysis and grouping of test results.
Insight Assessment’s testing system enables clients to create up to ten custom demographic items. Response options include selecting choices provided by the client or free response. There are also five default demographic items which clients may elect to eliminate or retain. Here are some frequently asked questions about getting the most out of our custom question option:
1. What kinds of questions can I ask the people I’m testing using the custom demographics items?
Just about anything that it is legal to ask. For example, you can ask about educational background, employment background, which department or work group a person is a member of, or how much time a person spends on a given activity. If you know the choices you want test takers to select from, you can supply them. If you want the test takers to enter a free text response, that works too.
2. What are some examples of custom demographic items?
Here are four examples. You are able to create your own custom demographic items to best fit with your assessment plans.
- Type your student ID number here: _______________
- What is your highest level of formal education?
- Advanced degree
- Baccalaureate degree
- Associates degree
- High School Diploma or GED
- Eighth Grade
- Fourth Grade
- Which professor assigned you to take this test?
- Which Division of our Company do you work in?
- Customer Relations
- Human Resources
- Physical Plant & Security
- Research & Development
- Upper Management
3. I want to do a pretest and posttest analysis, but anonymity is important. How can I set that up in the IA testing system?
There is a very straightforward procedure using the custom demographics option. First create an identifier that will link a given person’s pretest with that person’s posttest. The identifier can be a four digit pin number, for example, that you create. Assign each individual their unique identifier. You will then ask them to insert that unique identifier as a free response answer to a custom question. Each person will do that when they login to take their pretest and again when they login to take their posttest. When you download test results in spreadsheet form, use that code to sort the data and, thereby, associate each person’s pretest and posttest. The custom demographic item you would create might look like this:
Write the code number you were assigned here __________________
4. Does Insight Assessment supply any demographic items automatically?
Yes, there are five optional default demographic questions. Clients can elect to eliminate or retain any or all of these five. The first three are free response items, which enable the responder to enter anything they wish whether it is accurate or not. The last two on the list provide responders with the option of declining to provide the requested information.
- Email address
5. How can I learn more about creating custom demographic items or eliminating one or more of the default demographic items?
Easy, just contact Insight Assessment. We are happy to assist clients in getting the most helpful information possible when using our testing instruments and our powerfully versatile testing system.