STEM Thinking Skills Test
Get data for Program Admissions Evaluating STEM Thinking Skills Student Success Advising National Benchmarking Accreditation Educational Research
The STEM Thinking Skills Test (STEM) is an objective measure of scientific and technological thinking (an assessment of critical thinking skills when they are used in scientific and technological contexts). STEM is designed to assess adults and high performing adolescents in academic settings. Clients use the STEM for selective admissions, advising and retention, studies of effectiveness of STEM training programs, and the documentation of student learning outcomes.
For assessment specs, administration, metrics reported, and more, scroll down. Contact us by using the “Request A Quote” button to ask a question. Or phone us at 650-697-5628 to speak with an assessment services client support specialist.
Seamless Testing. Results You Can Trust.
STEM provides five measures of scientific and technological thinking reliant on strength in critical thinking. Items are drawn from a scientifically developed and tested item pool.
STEM – OVERALL: a holistic measure of the reasoning and problem-solving skills considered highly valuable for learning and performance success in the STEM domains.
Out-of-the-Box Algebra: Out-of-the-box mathematical thinking is the ability to come up with elegant solutions to algebraic and arithmetic problems that might otherwise seem long and arduous. While problems of this kind may be solved with brute force techniques, time-limited contexts often render exhaustive calculations impractical.
Spatial-Relational Thinking: the skill of recognizing and predicting spatial relationships, geometric progressions, and the best organization of objects in space for engineering and design-related purposes.
Tech Logic: the ability to identify the logical structures and organizational plan manifested in written text, diagrams, data files, and mathematical functions.
Scientific Thinking: the skill of framing a problem from observations, determining possible, or likely, significant relationships between a set of provided facts, and determining which observations would count as reasonable evidence for or against competing hypotheses.
The STEM Report Package includes an individual test-taker report for each person assessed and group summary reports for each group and sub-group in the sample.
Reports are generated immediately after the conclusion of testing and are available for clients to download, making real time assessment possible. Read more about how our customer support specialists work with clients to select their reporting options on our Services tab or Contact us for a consultation.
- Clients can generate and download Excel spreadsheet files of all scores (OVERALL STEM Thinking Skills, and four STEM metric scores). At the option of the client, these also include the responses to custom demographic questions added by the client to the assessment profile.
- Presentation-ready tables and graphic representations of the score distribution for OVERALL STEM Thinking Skills and for the four STEM metric scores.
- Customers who have added custom demographic questions can generate sub-group reports for these variables, or for specific testing sessions or time periods.
Optional Individual Test-Taker Reports
- An overall score of STEM thinking skills (OVERALL STEM Score). OVERALL scores range from 260 to 300 and are accompanied by a qualitative rating (Superior, Strong, Moderate, Weak, Not Manifested).
- Scores for each STEM metric. These metrics are scored on a 260-to-300-point scale and are accompanied by a categorical interpretation of the strength of the score indicating areas of strength and areas for future development.
- The Individual Test Taker Report can be pushed to an email address of the client’s choosing (for example, to an admissions office email, institutional assessment email, dean’s office email, etc.).
Need to expedite your project? We can have your first online testing assignment available for your students within 24 hours. Request a quote or get started by calling 650-697-5628 and speaking with one of our assessment specialists today.
Unlock Your Exclusive Access to Our Resource Library
Understand the depth of our metrics with hands-on tools designed to elucidate the reasoning behind our results. These tools empower you to interpret and apply our data in your professional journey.
Explore how our products are used in real-world scenarios, with comprehensive studies that showcase their impact and effectiveness.
Delve into critical thinking insights from our founders, offering fresh perspectives and groundbreaking approaches.
Your subscription includes access to our resource library and periodic emails that keep you informed and ahead in your field. Your privacy is important to us. We promise to keep your information safe and never spam you. You can unsubscribe at any time.